Sunday, July 11, 2010

Mourning the Passing


I will be back posting soon. My laptop has officially passed away.  It was running fine except the CD/DVD broke last October. The USB ports were corroded and sometimes very iffy about operating. My internet connection often needs the USB port to run.  It couldn't be put in suspend. If it was turned off or put into hibernation, it might come back on or might not. If it did come back on, the "C", "D", "E" and "3" would not work for the first hour, sometimes longer.
Do you know that "E" is the most often used letter in the English language? 
If you typ without an "E" this is what th abov posting looks lik:
I will b back posting soon. My laptop has officially passd away.  It was running fin xcpt th CD/DVD brok last Octobr. Th USB ports wr corrodd and somtims vry iffy about oprating.  It couldn't b put in suspnd. If it was turnd off or put into hibrnation, it might com back on or might not. If it did com back on, th "C", "D", "" and "3" would not work for th first hour, somtims longr.
Do you know that "" is th most oftn usd lttr in th nglish languag? 
Now remove the "C' and the D" and look at the mess:
I will b bak posting soon. My laptop has offiially pass away.  It was running fin xpt th /V brok last Otobr. Th USB ports wr orro an somtims vry iffy about oprating.  It ouln't b put in suspn. If it was turn off or put into hibrnation, it might om bak on or might not. If it i om bak on, th "", "", "" an "3" woul not work for th first hour, somtims longr.
Often the "M" and "N" were sticky and might or might not work. The track point thingy had become unstable and the left click worked randomly.
Other than those problems, it ran just fine.
When it started.
Sometimes it wouldn't shut down at all, just hang there and the mouse substitute, track pointer would refuse to work.
So, with all these problems, I was totally SHOCKED when it completely died all together. It was only 4 or 5 years old, had been often close to the Caribbean Sea, the salty air, the dust from the Sahara and occasionally spit on by rain.
They sure don't make things to last, anymore, do they. *sigh*

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if keeping a laptop in one of those water proof bags while not using it would extend it's life in the harsh Caribbean atmosphere?

    If I get to live my dream, I will be taking my expensive MacBook Pro with me and don't want it to die prematurely. I bought a waterproof bag for it so it would stay dry in trips back and forth in the dinghy to a Hot Spot on land, if needs be. Maybe I will keep it in the bag when not using. With a few packets of those salts that soak up moisture.

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!