Monday, October 10, 2011

Dreher Island State Park in South Carolina

My little old motorhome parked at #29 on Lake Murray at Dreher  Island State Park in South Carolina.


Ironically, last winter, I tried my best to get a work-camping position at Dreher Island State Park in South Carolina. I had never been there, but it sounded wonderful. Meanwhile I took a position  April 1st at Hartwell Lake in Georgia. 




After I was fully ensconced in my new work camping as park host for the boat ramp and picnic area, bingo-bango-boom,  Dreher Island State Park called me to come park host there, starting a week later. I couldn't go without breaking my deal at Hartwell Lake, so I stayed put to keep my reputation honest. 


Finally, this week, I had a chance to briefly visit Dreher Island State Park. 




My first view of Lake Murray in South Carolina. I was driving towards Dreher Island State Park to spend two glorious days and one night. 
I do have this thing for islands and water. I fell in love with islands and the ocean at Hunting Island, South Carolina when I was a wee child. Now, decades later, I've traveled to dozens of islands, so many I can not count, though one of these days, I can probably review my passports and log book to come up with a fair estimate which is probably close to a hundred or more. 


Harley was cold (it was 68F degrees).  He resembles an ant eater in a sweater here. 

Below is a satelite picture of Dreher Island sitting in the middle of Lake Murray in South Carolina. Actually the park encompasses several islands. They have two camping areas.  

One is below the "A" going southeast, that far loop, is a camping area. Then going northwest from the "A", two islands up, is the other camping loop, where we spent the night. Oh how I would have loved to stayed a week or all month. One night was not nearly enough. 




The red dot below, shows where my campsite was on the lake.  Many folks had brought boats with them to play with on Lake Murray.
Below is a closer view of the camping loop I stayed in with Harley dog. The black oval is roughly how the roads runs through the wooded campground. The "29" is where we stayed, it was on a hill, but definately lake front.






Standing on my campsite (#29) at Dreher Island State Park, I had lake front property and a fabulous view. The winds blew steady across the lake during my entire stay. It made me homesick for the Caribbean Islands with their near constant tradewinds.
Note:  My apologies if this is not formatted right the first time around, Blogger has bugs in their program. I keep having to go back and redo my entire posts to make the formatting straighten out.  Blogger needs to fix their issues. By the way, most all my pics will click to enlarge throughout my blog and website. 


Share |


1 comment:

  1. Will you stay here all winter?

    Will you be warm enough?

    Will Harley have sufficient sweaterage?

    Will you ever remove the separate word verification page? [just checking]

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!