Monday, October 03, 2011

Lost and Found Again




Day one of the mobile adventure I managed to do 94 miles, going west, north, east and south.  What a quest!  As you can see, I avoided the interstates.  The scenery was awesome.  While there were some traffic lights, they were all green except two.  


I got a late start because the more I packed up the outside patio, the more I kept rearranging, reorganizing my stuff. I kept ending up with extra room, so I felt good about that. I had purged the wheel estate of unnecessary boxes, old clothes, and things that came with the RV when I bought it, that I just never or rarely use. Like the toaster. It takes up a lot of room and in the past 20 months of that toaster riding around with me, I bet I have made toast a good 8-9 times. Seems silly to keep hauling it around when I could use that space for something else and let someone else enjoy the thrill of toast. 


I reasoned if I want toast in the future, I can just toss it in a fry pan like a grilled cheese sandwich without the cheese, just the toast. 








I find taking the back roads more relaxing. The views are wonderful.  There are no big trucks to blow me around the road, like on the interstate.  I wanted to stop in Toccoa, Georgia to pick up some supplies, as I was already familiar with where the bargain budget friendly stores were located. Even though Greeville is much larger with more shopping opportunities, the traffic is horrendous, where as Toccoa traffic is pretty easy to navigate. 




In Greenville, South Carolina I had a delightful dinner at the home of friends.  Their dog and Harley had loads of fun playing with each other. Since their backyard is fenced in, Harley had the thrill of running free, minus his tether. After dinner, I went to Mauldin, south of Greenville to stay for a few nights. I was so tired when I arrived, that I just parked, plugged in, then went to bed. 

During the night it dropped to 43F degrees. I discovered my propane furnace would not come on at all.  I tried the propane hot water, it doesn't work either. But the propane fridge and stove work. 

Now what?

More for me to try to fix.  What a hoot!  

I sat down to write an article, but I noticed everything was at a slant.  Apparently I was so tired, that my idea of level the night before, was not at all  level in the morning. I moved the motorhome around my camping spot until I found a spot that was even keel. 

Day two, zero miles. But I had fun visiting with different friends today. No need to rush into these things. I had 542 miles to go before I set out  yesterday, then I did 94 miles, now I have 576 to go. I guess I better work on my direction a little better.  I seemed to be 34 miles further away rather than 94 closer. 

Reminds me of tacking a sailboat upwind!  

I still have 29 days to get to my next workamping assignment in Florida, so I guess there's some wiggle room, at the rate I wander. 

Tomorrow I will tackle the furnace problem.  What fun!  I have no idea what I am doing, so feel free to toss suggestions.  It worked fine months ago, when I tested it last. I looked at the 12 volt fuses, there are dozens of them in two locations with no labels. I guess I will have to pull each one separately to check to see if any are broken. Maybe one of them goes to the furnace and hot water, as both have automatic ignition switches that run on 12 volt. 

Another funny thing, both my clocks died as did my watch. They all run on batteries, but seemed unable to respond to new batteries. My friend jokingly said "See?  You've finally run out of time!"

The propane hot water was working in July before I installed the electric kit. It worked afterwards too, but I prefer the electric hot water, when I have an umbilical cord, so I haven't used it since. I tested it when the furnace refused to come on, then I tested the stove and propane fridge. 

Now my hot water in the kitchen sink suddenly is back to normal pressure, where it used to be tiny pressure but the cold was full pressure. Of course I am now pumping cold water through the hot side. Confused?  Me too!  Must be those aliens messing with me again. 

I did finally find my shoes and dog leash in the strangest places. I was so glad the aliens were done with them and thoughtful enough to leave them where I might find them. What a day!

Life is a live comedy.  

Today I managed to borrow a hot shower at my friend's house. They have a real fancy shower with dual heads, multiple settings, with one of the showers being handheld and the other fixed. You can use either one, or turn both on at once.   What's so funny, is that I installed the fancy shower for them 2 years ago and it still works fine. 



NOTE:  Blogger still reformats my nice neat post into a mess!  I shall try to fix it again. *Mumble Grumble Growl*


I think I fixed it, but why so much work to make blogger format correctly?  Why don't they fix their bugs?


Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment


Life is goof!