Monday, January 30, 2012

Rut Roh

Thank You
I've been reading all the wonderful comments, some with questions too. I am going to address the questions (soon) and use some of the comments for future ideas. I do check the comments daily, what fun!


Rut Roh
I've been a real klutz lately. I stepped on the puppy dog's paw, which made him cry. That made me cry. So we both had a good cry. I cuddled him in my arms, babied him and loved him, so he would hopefully understand it was an accident. He gave me kissy face after awhile, so I hope that is puppy dog speak for forgiveness. 


As the sun creeps up, the morning fog begins to dissipate.
This was my view an hour or so after I reported to the hunters station.
Scenes  like this make workamping in the boonies well worth it. 





Big BooBoo
I have an angry red injury right on my silly face. I manage to cut my mug from mid forehead, across my left eyelid and down to my upper cheek. Face cheek, not my rump.  That was yesterday afternoon. This morning I look like a horror show!  I couldn't brush my hair in front of the mirror so I didn't brush it for hours. I let it look wild like my ragged face. Ugh.


I am supposed to go to a potluck luncheon today. I would love to cover it up with thick makeup, but I am afraid of infecting it.  I iced my face a good bit yesterday, plus slathered antibiotics on it several times.  It hurts and it looks awful. It's complicated to explain how I managed this disasterous feat. But basically I got the bright idea to relocate the camping gazebo. 


One of the upper frame strut joints is broken. I had tucked the broken frame strut back in place. Eventually I bought super glue to put it back together, but then forgot what the super glue was for. Duh...  The other night I got the bright idea to do a project of gluing nonskid rubber to the back of a rattan tray, using up all the super glue I had on hand. I use the tray on top of the compact washer in my bedroom. It holds my drink, remote control, cell phone and bowl of popcorn if I am having that for dinner. In my haste to reach the bathroom, I bumped the tray, which slid across the washer, dumping iced tea all over the basket of dog toys and puppy sweaters. What a mess. 


Realizing I had some spare grip-it shelf liner (pvc coated rubber typically used in boats and RVs) I got this bright idea to custom cut a piece to fit the bottom of the rattan tray.  This would prevent it from skidding across the washer should I be a klutz in the future. The washer lid is slightly angled downward. 


This worked so well, I decided it would be handier if the rubber was glued permanently to the bottom of the tray.  I am a sailor and still think like one. I keep forgetting I live in a motorhome and not a boat. But still the motorhome tosses around when driving, maybe not as bad as a sailboat at sea, but things rattle, slip and slide inside the cabinets and drawers, if you don't have this wonderful grip-it shelf liner.


I carefully super glued the rubber, utilizing all the super glue I had on hand, which was 3 tiny tubes. I was extremely proud of this feat, because I managed to do so without gluing my fingers together (a common problem when you cross a klutz with super glue).


So when I moved the gazebo, the broken strut popped out of place, flying into  my face attacking it. About that time, I suddenly remembered why I bought all that super glue. Ah ha!  


I ran inside to throw a wet cold cloth over my face before I could bear to look in the mirror. Luckily my eyeball is fine as my eyelid instinctively closed tightly a nanosecond before the attack. When I finally worked up my nerve to look in the mirror, I was a tad shocked. A jagged piece of broken plastic can do a lot of damage. What's even worse, is that I already have old facial scars.  I really didn't need a new one.  Grrrrrrrrrr...


It would have been much easier to stay home and not go to the luncheon, but I had enthusiastically volunteered to make several dishes, plus a gallon of  iced tea and bring my shoe box of ice from the freezer. Eventually I faced the mirror, fixed my hair, doctored up my face with antibiotics.  There was just no way to hide the obvious booboo without making it even more conspicuous. I tried covering half my face with my long hair. While it looked alluring, it wasn't very functional for a luncheon, though I could have probably gotten away with it in a dark nightclub. 


I tried my sunglasses on, but the luncheon was being held indoors rather than outdoors.  My glasses are very dark, so it would have looked very unfriendly. Finally, I decided to just go and try to think up creative answers to my accident. 


Like ages ago, when I busted my knee in a rough boating accident during a storm. I was living in the Caribbean on my old sailboat. For months, my leg was wrapped in bandages while I hobbled around on shore with a walker or a cane. When I sat down, I had to prop my leg up on another chair. Tourists kept asking me how I was injured. Tiring of the same old story, I began creating new ones. I told one crowd I did it on a bad landing from skydiving. Another inquiring mind, I replied I fell out of a coconut tree while making a pina colada.  While in a beach bar, I told some inebriated patrons that it was injured by a shark bite. 


That story came back to haunt me hours later. A reporter from the local newspaper tracked me down for an interview.  He was quite deflated when he found out the shark bite was farcical. 



2 comments:

  1. Oooh, that hurts. So glad you didn't hurt your eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see a possible Land Shark story in your future.

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!