Saturday, April 21, 2012

Welaka Lodge and Resort in Florida

“Madness is only a variety of mental nonconformity and we are all individualists here.”

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, Cross Creek


Welaka Lodge and Resort with RV sites on St Johns River in Welaka Florida with photo by  DearMissMermaid.Com
It's hard to believe this little doggy used to be terrified of water, docks, and bridges.  Now he sniffs his way down this deck at the bar and restaurant on the St Johns River at Waleka Lodge and Resort. We stayed in their wonderful RV park recently.



The St. Johns River is 310 miles in length and the longest river in Florida. Among its many distinct characteristics, the St. Johns is one of few major rivers in the USA that flow north. The River and its tributaries drain about one-sixth of the state of Florida. The river flows from its headwaters in marshes southwest of Cape Canaveral, evolving into a series of lakes, finally maturing into a river averaging two miles in width for its final one hundred miles into Jacksonville, eventually entering the Atlantic Ocean.

Welaka Lodge and Resort with RV sites on St Johns River in Welaka Florida with photo by  DearMissMermaid.Com
Harley reports "Oh my gosh, what a BIG water bowl!  Where's the doggy that drinks out of this?"
Welaka Lodge and Resort with RV sites on St Johns River in Welaka Florida with photo by  DearMissMermaid.Com
The path to the bar and restaurant on the St Johns River has special parking for the golf carts and motorcycles that frequent the area. Harley was on his best behavoir at the open-air restaurant.  He sat under my chair very quiet, while I had lunch with a friend. 

A bird startled him when it flew across the deck, he let out one bark. I leaped out of my seat, announcing, he was going home. But everyone said "Oh, let him stay!"  So we lingered awhile more and he didn't make another sound, but he did flirt with anyone that dared to look at him. 

When my hamburger arrived, I sliced off a quarter of the meat, letting it cool on the side of my plate.  Once my friend and I  were finished with our lunch, I took Harley back out to the grassy area. I told him to sit, which he has finally learned to do on command. YAY!  Then I fed him the burger for being such a nice doggy. Afterwards, we went back out on the deck. I've been training him that he can not beg nor bother me when I am eating. It's like he's starting to understand some of his training. I never thought it would take me this long to train him. Either he is hard headed or I am a lousy trainer but he has learned a lot.
Finally.
More or less.
Somewhat.
Welaka Lodge and Resort with RV sites on St Johns River in Welaka Florida with photo by  DearMissMermaid.Com
One of the five cottages available for rent at Welaka Lodge and Resort.




My little wheel estate was cozy here.

 
“I do not understand how anyone can live without some small place of enchantment to turn to.”



Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

2 comments:

  1. Good Boy Harley! How many tricks have you taught DMM? You are very lucky to have her as your Mama & the amazing places you get to go to are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I've seen workamping ads for Waleka Lodge.

    Roxanne
    The Good Luck Duck

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!