Friday, August 24, 2012

Armed and Alarmed

I must be a mermaid... I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living. 

Anais Nin 1903-1977 (Click for info on 
Anais Nin )

An alert reader sent me that quote and I love it!

It's been a whirlwind of travel in the RV over hill and dale to go to the funeral.    It took me 5 hours to drive there, I stayed 2 nights and spent 7 hours driving back even though the trip back was much shorter since my starting point was  north of where I normally workamp. 

I left in such a state of shock and hurry, that *ahem* I forgot to alert the powers to be that I was going to be missing in action.  But all was well, when I returned.  

workamping with Dear Miss mermaid in Georgia

Although our idiot driver that sometimes sneaks into the park at 1am to do donuts or drifting or whatever you call it when you try to burn off your tires and wreck your car while doing stunts it was not designed for, showed up last night around 1:30am waking up the dog and I.

He was in the parking lot below my workamping spot, making a tremendous noise, stinking up the air with burning rubber and gunning his engine loudly as he tried repeatedly to roll his car over, or drift or squeal in circles. I decided on a brand new tactic to get rid of him.

And it worked!

This time I got up, went forward without turning on any lights, then laid down on my RV horn  which is rather loud.  I held the horn down for what seemed like a good solid 5 minutes in the darkened cab.  I was impressed with how loud it was!  The reckless driver immediately stopped his shenanigans, but I continued the horn blaring. 

His stopped car was hiding in the darkest area of the parking lot, but I was determined to hold the horn nonstop as if he had set off some sort of alarm.   He sedately drove up the street on the other side of the woods from me, exiting the area. I kept the horn going at least another full two minutes. I was hoping he would leave the area completely and go home.  Country folks around here keep all sorts of guns in their homes and assuming he is from around here, he probably knows this. So hopefully he took himself far away before someone else took notice of him being out on the streets at this odd hour.  

It never looks good when you are the only one leaving the scene of an alarm at the wee hours of the morning. By now dogs were barking and howling along. Well it worked, I guess he fled the park and the area. Once I turned the horn off, the dogs stopped howling and there was nothing to be heard but the cicada chorus. Now that I was wide awake, I stayed up puttering around, washing dishes, making coffee.  He didn't dare come back. I hope I've seen the last of him. He has been a real pest the past few weeks. 

Maybe the horn blowing was a tad excessive, but I've been scratching my head on how to get rid of this reckless maniac.  I think all my frustration, grief and exhaustion just got the best of me and I took it out on him with my big loud horn. 

What fun!  


  1. I am so impressed! I would never have thought of that, and hope that's the last you see or hear of that creep.

  2. I hope it worked & he'll stay gone!


I read every comment and publish all but spam and hate mail.

If you're an anonymous user, I hope you remember to include your name or nickname in the comment box so I have a clue.

Thank you for commenting. I love hearing from you!