Sunday, August 04, 2013

Making That Moonshine

ALL: We make the best moonshine in the state of Georgia
Maybe in the whole wide world
LELAND: If you don't feel nothin' yummy burnin' in your tummy
Maybe you should come find Earl

EARL: If I cain't fix ya, Leland can
He's the clear, corn liquor delivery man
ALL: Down the hollers in Gumlog
MAKIN' THAT MOONSHINE

We make the best moonshine in the state of Georgia
Anyone'd say that's true
Fifteen dollar outta get you quite a lotta
Gumlog's finest brew

LELAND: My shoulder's gone flat totin' sugar and oak
Down to the still, like them other folk
ALL: Down the hollers in Gumlog
MAKIN' THAT MOONSHINE

LELAND: First ya cut the meal, then you cook it up right
Half a bushel or so
Let it sit out most the night
Then it's good to go

Add lots of sugar, plenty of malt
Let it cook, let it cool, let it run out
ALL: Down the hollers in Gumlog
MAKIN' THAT MOONSHINE

LELAND: I keep my 'shine in my dresser drawers
I keep my 'shine behind my closet doors
EARL: Well, Where ya gonna keep your clothes?
LELAND: Under the bed springs I suppose

EARL: Well, What you gonna tell your spouse
When the 'shine takes over the house?
LELAND: I'll spin a good yarn. (spoken) Gosh Darn!
(sung)There's plenty room out in the barn
(spoken) Now, Let's see what y'all learned

EARL: First ya cut the meal, then you cook it up right
Half a bushel or so
LELAND (spoken): That's right!
EARL: Let it sit out most the night
Then it's good to go

Oh, We didn't have no money
But we had a big ol' time
Down the hollers in gumlog
MAKIN' THAT MOONSHINE

There was lots a smoke curlin' up from the hills
If you look close you can see it still

Down the hollers in Gumlog
MAKIN' THAT ol' MOONSHINE

Song by Heather McClucky
You can listen to the song and follow the lyrics at this link:
http://www.tinpancountry.com/html/making_that_moonshine.html


Stumpys Playhouse keeps his moonshine still in the front yard in Gumlog Georgia.


Imagine if this massive oak could tell tales.


I did 3 volunteer workamping stints in the Land of Spirits also known as Gumlog, Georgia. It is a fascinating place out in the boonies.

Back in the late 70's, I was dating a guy who didn't have a car of his own, but his father owned a Cadillac. One day he promised to take us for a nice ride in the country and an early dinner out. We were excited to go.

The day was beautiful. We savored the smooth ride in his fancy car as we drove the back roads of South Carolina, crossing over into Georgia. We ended up at a big house in the countryside with huge columns towering over the porch (not Stumpys.)  We thought we were going to see somebody but instead we were told to wait in the car while his father went to see if they were home.

He came back with a paper bag wrapped around a quart of moonshine in a canning jar. Back in those days, much of the south had Blue laws that prevented any alcohol sales on Sundays. His father was an avid drinker. Like most alcoholics whatever he bought on Saturday for Sunday's consumption always magically vaporized before sunrise.

After taking a long sturdy drink, he offered us the clear liquid. We sniffed it over, but declined tasting it. I was just a young teenager at the time. My parents had no idea I was in another state, much less parked in a moonshiner's front yard sniffing the stuff over.

My parents have both passed on.  I never got around to mentioning this juicy tidbit to them.

There is a restaurant in Gumlog. The Gumlog Barbecue and Fish Lodge.  Established in 1972 by an old moonshiner.

Some friends took me there last spring.  It was delicious. Visiting there was surreal, like I had been there already.  But in my 3 years of workamping in the area, my efficient budget had not allowed me to dine out, so I was puzzled why it seemed familiar in an odd sort of way.

Months later, it hit me. That afternoon riding in the yellow Cadillac, after buying the moonshine, we went out to eat at the Gumlog Barbecue and Fish Lodge.


They are only open 3 days a week.

I guess that old moonshiner has other things to attend to Monday through Thursday. 

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog I look forward to reading it every day.Hope Harley is doing OK?

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!