Monday, May 05, 2014

Trash Talk

92F degrees today. It's early May! This is a record high since 1933. What's so funny, is at first I thought something was seriously wrong with me before I realized we were having a unseasonable heat wave. I went out to walk the doggy and the heat just seemed like too much. I hadn't noticed the temperature, it's SPRING and I was expecting spring weather. I thought I was running a temperature! Duh...

We walked uphill to the distant mail box while picking up litter along the way, filling up a bucket I carry for this delightful chore. I am hoping to eventually clean the road all the way to the highway. I love mother nature and dislike seeing this litter mar her beauty. I wish folks would wake up and stop flinging garbage out the windows. I've never been a fan of fast food joints due to the sugars and chemicals in the foods prepared at those types of places, but picking up park and roadside litter can really give one a huge hate for fast food joints. It seems many folks drive, eat and toss it out the window. Incredible!

I also walk around the park I take care of, picking up the random litter with a litter picker that I have just about wore out. It's not near as bad this year (compared to last year) which does please me tremendously. Garbage attracts garbage and it seems to me, when a place is pristine, most folks are a little less reluctant to toss their garbage on the ground. Of course last year once I got the park nice and clean, it's popularity soared. More people came out to play.

This weekend was total chaos here, we ran out of parking again. I let 9 trucks and boat trailers park in my yard. The extra cars found ways to park hither and yonder. I also discovered that many folks forgot to pay their entrance fees on the honor system. Is mankind really that dishonorable?

Last year when they asked me to consider switching parks to volunteer workamp, I came over to investigate the place. I was horrified at the garbage strewn liberally around the park in spite of the dozens  of garbage cans conveniently located. The ditches on the sides of the roads in the park and the roads leading up to the park were scattered with beer cans and assorted garbage. This is a no-alcohol park, yet the drunks couldn't even hide their beer cans in a trash can. Insane! The picnic tables had garbage scattered all around in spite of the cans being within easy reach. The sandy beach was more like a garbage mound with sand thrown on top of it.

I was too embarrassed to be seen living here (with all the garbage) but I decided this park needed a fool like me in the worst way. I managed to eventually get the place cleaned up, then we had a huge flood last summer and more garbage washed ashore. It seemed like a never ending nightmare.

Do people really think this way these days?

Let's go to a beautiful park and trash it! Let's go boating and toss all our crap overboard!

I came back home feeling a ton of guilt about turning on the air-conditioner and closing all the windows to cool off. Harley dog loves to be outside as much as I do, but he can't be left out there alone. He is such a tiny doggy, he would make a tasty snack. Besides he wants to be where ever I am.

I've been enjoying living outdoors as much as possible. My motorhome is tiny and being on the patio is heaven on earth to have all that room to spread out with a nice view of the lake.

It must be the mermaid in me, I love to camp near rivers, lakes, oceans, waterfalls, anything with water involved. Workamping on a lake is perfect for me.

I so wish I could open up the entire side of my camper to commune with nature.


2 comments:

  1. Not the fast food joints fault that people are ignorant disrespectful fools.Chemicals are in all processed foods also,not just fast food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the chemicals in these foods make a lot of people sick after years of ingesting them, so crazy

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!