Thursday, July 10, 2014

Techno Break or Techno Breaking

Back in the dark ages desktop computers were touted as saving the trees, saving paper and making us wildly efficient at our jobs. In my case, at the time I was doing accounting and taxes. I was so elated that my efficiency level shot through the roof with the aid of computers.

What happened in the next few decades? I was overseas working in mostly non-computer situations. Then I moved back to America at the end of 2009. I had no idea the USA had become such an incredibly complicated place to live.

Now computers are used to create work, make people as inefficient as possible and to spit out realms of excessive unnecessary paperwork.

My recent shopping trip for provisions was a near disaster because I am sick and tired of pure strangers asking me intimate questions that I think is none of their business! I just want to make my purchases anonymously.  I don't wish to give out my phone, email and address. I simply hate it that my key chain is ridiculously fat with silly cards that stores require or one pays a huge surcharge on items if this cumbersome tracking card is not used.

The grocery stores that are spread out over a couple of acres just make me want to scream, the healthy foods are ridiculously expensive and take up scant shelf space while the chemical and sugar laden foods are abundant.

What's wrong with feeding our bodies pure wholesome foods?

Products have 2 and 3 different prices, depending on whether or not you have some sort of tracking card to use or a coupon (and yet more paperwork.) Receipts are a foot or two long  even if just buying one item or in some cases taking up regular 8.5 by 11 inch paper, for just one or two purchases.

Several times I caught errors either made by the computer or the cashier and in each case, everything ground to a complete halt until more people could be summoned to straighten out the error. Meanwhile folks behind me in line were shooting imaginary daggers at me and the cashier and the crowd of managers and supervisors spending 10 minutes trying to straighten out a $2 error on my receipt.

This is considered efficient?

I just feel so lost and bewildered.

I don't understand the constant invasion of privacy over trying to make a few simple purchases of food and supplies or that I could write by long hand a whole chapter in my next book on the backs of the mountain of paper these few purchases generated.

No wonder the cost of food is frighteningly expensive. We're paying for all this inefficiency, paying for silly plastic cards to dangle from our key chains, paying for 4 people to correct one small error. Paying for folks to design and generate lengthy receipts begging us to take nonsensical surveys or accumulating some sort of complicated point scheme that promises future discounts or rewards if one can figure out the insane set of rules.

Maybe it's the sudden heat and humidity have just literally gone to my head. I never thought I would dread shopping for simple basic supplies and food, but I do.

I want a techno break, the pure freedom to go buy a sack of onions without having to issue my life's history. Could I be the only one around that thinks technology is breaking down the fabric of our lives?

Oh for the love of air, I just want a simple fun life like my *slightly* spoiled silly dog who for some reason known only to him, is amassing his favorite toys in a chair. This picture was supposed to be a frontal shot of him holding his Frisbee in his mouth, but as I clicked the shutter, he spun around. What a goofball!


~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~














No comments:

Post a Comment


Life is goof!