Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Arrived Alive

We're here, we're healing, we're happy! Took us only 5 hours to go 76 miles of country roads. I think we drove through a time warp. I only made 3 stops and didn't even get lost, so no idea how it took me so long, but we're here at healing Hunting Island State Park in South Carolina. Yippee doodle doo!

Parris Island South Carolina Marine corps training
Parris Island, South Carolina
Parris Island has been the site of Marine Corps recruit training since Nov. 1, 1915.

hunting island state park south carolina 1994 tioga montara fleetwood class c
Moss and Marsh
We're almost there!

hunting island state park south carolina 1994 tioga montara fleetwood class c
I backed into my campsite, plugged up the electric then walked to the beach.
This was our first glimpse.
It was high tide.

hunting island state park south carolina 1994 tioga montara fleetwood class c
Two cups of coffee then Harley and I headed for the beach Tuesday morning.
The tide is going out. 

hunting island state park south carolina 1994 tioga montara fleetwood class c
Harley (bottom of pic) met a new girlfriend (right).
See that big circular mess in the sand?
Harley ran circles round and round me about 3 dozen times to show off in an attempt to impress the new lady dog.
As we were walking away, I snapped the pic of his handiwork.
I had him on a 6 foot flexi-leash, I meant to take the 18 footer (oops) but undaunted, he settled for running in small circles.
What a hoot!
To say he loves the beach is an understatement.

lowcountry shrimp boil hunting island state park south carolina 1994 tioga montara fleetwood class c
Fresh off the boat shrimp!
I cooked it in my wok.
Today's Recipe:
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup red wine
2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 pounds jumbo fresh shrimp

Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil
Toss in shrimp
Bring to a boil again
Occasionally stir and toss shrimp
Just as the shrimp begins to show signs of pink,
turn off the heat, it will continue to cook
Strain and serve
Promptly refrigerate any leftovers
Old Bay Seasoning for Seafood, Poultry, Salads & Meats, 6-Ounce Canister


lowcountry shrimp boil hunting island state park south carolina 1994 tioga montara fleetwood class c
I've been cooking and eating dried beans all year long, drooling, daydreaming and saving up up for this bounty of fresh shrimp. Whenever I would get tired of cooking dried beans, I would close my eyes and focus on this dream.
Today it came true! (Even today, blackeyed peas are simmering in the crockpot as I type this.) Dried beans have awesome health benefits and certainly far cheaper than meats but oh how I love lowcountry shrimp.
Life is goof.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Earth's Biggest Selection
Delivered to your door
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 comments:

  1. ok i'l bite. what are leftovers?

    ice cream raz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really good love shrimp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha about the leftovers. I know if a certain friend of mine was visiting, there would be NO leftovers.

    Tee hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one of our favorite parks. But it's always packed full. Did you have a reservation?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I had a reservation and yes, it's very busy.

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!