Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Home Sweat Home (Yes Sweat!)

Home Sweet Home or Home Sweat Home?

Dumpster diving, hand-me-downs, gifts and angels. That is my little side yard garden. The yellow house is my neighbor. I am in an RV park that has RV's, campers, 5th wheels, travel trailers, motorhomes, park models, and mobile homes.  Some lots are owned, some are leased, some are rentals. No two lots are alike in size or looks.

My lot is narrow, but  it is very long, kind of pie shaped with the small end at the street. A nearly invisible dog fence (portable) surrounds part of the lot. I bought that in bits and pieces on sale. I also found some that were damaged with reduced pricing. I fixed it up to work more or less right. The rules here don't allow permanent fencing, so I skirted around that with a portable foldable dog fence.

Sweat equity.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g a teensy efficient budget for  tiny home living


I ate an avocado then dangled the pit with toothpicks in a cup of water. I changed the water daily. Weeks later I was about to toss it out when it suddenly sprouted roots. I planted it in a pot, now I have an avocado tree about 3 feet high, still in the pot. I have to get permission from the park to plant a tree. There really isn't room on my lot for anymore trees, so I will probably donate it to a public area in the park.

Some of the plants were hand-me-downs from departing campers, others were pots I salvaged after the freeze last winter. I trimmed off all the dead stuff and amazingly, many sprouted plants, weeds, flowers, weeds. Their loss, my gain.

When my neighbor died, so did his plants and pots. His relatives gave them all to me. Basically a bunch of pots with dead plants. Well lo and behold, I trimmed down all the dead stuff, fed them some plant food, watered the empty pots and prayed for a miracle. Amazingly all his pots grew something including a huge azalea bush and another one sprouted some kind of lily plant that might bloom soon.

I forget the names of all this stuff, my brain is on under-load.

A few plants were gifts from angels. WOW, thank you!

The umbrella and chair are from past dumpster diving. The chair from over a year ago and the umbrella has been traversing with me several years. It doesn't crank up right and lists funny, but it provides shade and a rain buffer.
 The hammock is great fun. Mostly I swing in it like a seat rather than lay in it. I like swinging.
Makes me feel like a child.

The first 60 years of childhood are the hardest.
 I salvaged some lattice work to make a front underpinning for this old 5th wheel trailer.

The picnic table was in a box un-assembled in the shed. I covered it with old fashioned oilcloth in a festive polka dot print. The plant stands I found at thrift stores for cheap and a few were donated.

The  areca palm is a gift. Amazingly, it's not real but it is made to withstand the UV rays of outdoor use. If you want to decorate outdoors with artificial plants,visit Museum Trees. I am utterly amazed at how lifelike it looks.

It was too big for my tiny home inside. I tried to place it different areas inside, but had to move it outside. It fools many people into looking real! Twice I've been told it was time to repot it so it wouldn't get root bound. Too funny!
 Can you tell which plant is artificial?

 I have some serious shade from the oak trees.

My driveway is  very long and huge. I don't own a car yet, but I still have my awesome red bicycle! Matter of fact, I just came back from a short ride to the dump and the overgrown dog park.

I say yet... doubtful I will be able to get a car anytime soon. It's so hard to find a trusty rusty cheap heap but one just never knows.

 This old 5th wheel has been an ongoing project, but it's home sweat home. I chose to park it as far in back as possible to enjoy the view of the farm behind me and more privacy from the neighbors on my two sides.

I say SWEAT home because I've had to put oodles of sweat equity into this 1992 fifth wheel trailer. An old friend has helped me cobble things together. It's slowly a work in progress. My old little motorhome had loads of adaptive aids installed over the years and now I work to make this old trailer easier for me to get around day to day.

The body is weak but the spirit is strong! I push myself hard each day, because TODAY is a GIFT. I want to waste it wisely! I have no doctors helping me out, but that just frees up loads of time to do m own thing and pray for a miracle.

Nothing happens in a hurry.

But it might!

 A goofy little place, but it's a safe haven for me while I pray for a miracle. I am super duper uber grateful that I am not living in a box under a bridge

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!


5 comments:

  1. Looks like a cozy, sweet nest to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a roof over your head, clothing and food it is enough. I, too, am so thankful to not be in a box in NYC. Your place looks so inviting. You have a gift for taking something ordinary and turning it into something special. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have made your yard so nice and cozy and your plants look so healthy and happy. I also use the portable fencing. I was lucky to find a section at a second had store and it was like brand new the other section I ordered from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing what you have created here. It looks like home. We ladies can do some good stuff!!! Keep being grateful for every day....blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!