Tuesday, October 04, 2011

The Spice Of Life

Variety is the spice of life and oh how I love my herbs and spices. Since moving into the wheel estate (aka motorhome) I tried to curb my love for spices down to a managable size. 









Ha!  I just counted the herbs and  spices in my RV kitchen.  Apparently my idea of paring down,  came to 51 different spices. Yet, sadly I am still missing a few like green pepper corns, and star anise, and... I could go on and on. 


Frankly, food is just no fun without a good spice rack for judicial seasoning. At first I had my various condiments stuck in the cabinet but it took a long time to find the ones I needed for that particular dish, at the moment I needed it. Then I tried the basket method, but the basket still had to be brought out of the cabinet, while I hunted through the myriad of bottles to find the ones I wanted to use.  Finally I settled on spice racks


Like so many folks, one main reason I enjoy living and traveling in my RV is the fact it comes with a kitchen, enabling me to make my own food.  Just today I was making potato salad. First thing this morning, I filled up my crockpot with freshly washed small to medium sized red skin potatoes. I baked them on low until soft.  The timing varies based on size of your crockpot and the number of potatoes and size you are cooking. Mine happened to be done in about 60 minutes. There is no need to add water nor prick the potatoes, just give them a good scrubbing before you cook them. Once they are done, you can let them air cool or plunge them in icy cold water. 


I then quartered my small potatoes, added a few quartered boiled eggs, some mayonnaise, pickle relish, horseradish and then some dill weed, black pepper and sea salt. Before I stored it in the refrigerator, I gave it a good sprinkling of paprika. I can't make even the simplest dish, without choosing at least a few herbs to enhance the flavors. 







This wall spice rack, (shown above) is ideal for a motorhome or RV, because the herb bottles can not jump out into the floor at every little pothole, lump or bump you might hit while driving. This one comes in oak, which many motorhomes feature in their interiors. 


Kitchen spice racks made for drawers are very handy too, but my motorhome drawers are already quite full, but some of the fifth wheel RV's I've seen had plenty of drawers (which I envied and almost drooled over). 



Besides adding great flavor to foods, spices and herbs have numerous health benefits, so using a wide variety in your various dishes, will give you enhanced vitality. 


So here's to your health and the spice of life!  



Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment


Life is goof!