Saturday, October 04, 2014

The Beauty of Colleton State Park

Sometimes folks express dismay that I don't have a car. Others lament on the poor gas mileage my motorhome achieves. I've discovered America was designed for personal cars and copious gas consumption. Of course if one lives in a big city that offers mass transit, it's possible to get by without a private vehicle.

I am not fit for living in a concrete jungle. I need nature. In my past life I must have been either a native Indian or a wild animal or a mermaid. I crave fresh air, beautiful scenery and salty seas.

My life changed dramatically a few years ago. At first I was having a devil of a time adapting, then it clicked one day. Think outside the box. Think outside the car. Get on with life. Be happy!

So I have found a way to live without a car. Sure my motorhome is driveable, but I mostly only use it to relocate to another campground. I try to do my shopping stops along the way. Then when I get to the campground, I just settle in to soak up what I can see and do on foot and paw, sometimes on bicycle too.


Colleton State Park in South Carolina on the Edisto River
 The cypress swamp and Edisto River mingle and mirror.

Colleton State Park in South Carolina on the Edisto River
 Tree fungi is nature's avant garde sculpture.

Colleton State Park in South Carolina on the Edisto River
The park ranger has whimsically placed a beacon of hope for the river enthusiasts.

Colleton State Park in South Carolina on the Edisto River
 The entrance to Colleton State Park in South Carolina. The freaky ice storm last winter knocked down over a hundred trees, closing the park for 6 weeks. In addition dozens of tree tops had to be trimmed to prevent falling hazards on the public. Most visitors would never notice the missing trees, but Harley and I have camped here often.

Colleton State Park in South Carolina on the Edisto River
Departing campers decorated the recreation building with their donated potted flowers.

Colleton State Park in South Carolina on the Edisto River
This mushroom is pretending to have dripping snow on the roof.

Nature is awesome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Earth's Biggest Selection
Delivered To Your Door
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. The lake looks just like a beautifully painted glass. Nice capture

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!