Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Well Behaved?

I was reviewing park rules for a state park I plan to visit. (I like to read all the rules  in advance, so I can pick which ones I plan to break ahead of time.)

Among the rules listed was this one:

Pets must be well-behaved at all times.

So why doesn't this apply to children?

The list of rules for pets are numerous but none for the children.

We all know I was the perfect child growing up and never did a thing wrong. Well, um, maybe not! Tee hee hee.

But one thing I know for SURE. Mama didn't allow me to SCREAM unless it was a huge emergency and I better be missing an arm or a leg or my head caved in when she showed up to deal with it. Screaming just was not allowed. No way. Screaming was for BIG emergencies.

It seems every campground or RV park eventually has a screamer or sometimes multiple shriekers. A token handful of children that seem to shriek and scream at the top of their lungs while their parents go on with life as if the screaming and shrieking is just not within their hearing range.

But pets must be well-behaved at all times. 

Oh well. Grin and bear it.

On to a funny tale...

This happened when I was about five years old. We lived in a modest post war ranch style home about 1100 square feet, 3 bedrooms, a bath and a half. It was considered the suburbs. Lots were modest in size. I can't remember if ours was an eighth or a quarter acre. The front and back yard were of equal size. Around the corner several lots down, was the veterinarian's home but he had quite a few acres and his home was much larger than ours. Though his office was located somewhere else, he sometimes had large animals being treated on his property, but it was rare.

My mother was on the kitchen phone. It had just rang and she was intently listening to the other person on the line. I was sitting at the kitchen table coloring.The windows looked out to our small suburban back yard which had a badminton net tied up between two trees.  I glanced up from my coloring to gaze out the window when suddenly a big black bull ran though the yard, snaring our badminton net with his horns. He kept right on running with the destroyed net dangling from his head. I tried to get my mother's attention and she spun around to shush me. She finished the call and hung up.

She announced that was an important call from another neighbor about a bull on the loose having escaped from the vet's care. We needed to stay indoors until he was captured. She also reminded me that I was not to interrupt her while she was on the phone unless it was an emergency.

"Now dear." she finished, "What was it you wanted to tell me?"





1 comment:

  1. well behaved. when i saw that neither you or harley came to mind.

    ice cream. raz

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!