Monday, June 17, 2019

Float Test

When it seems like so much is going wrong or is breaking or broken, I just have to remember everything that is going right and be oh so grateful for that.

A few days ago I went to an appointment. I had foolishly made the appointment online when I couldn't reach a "live" person on the phone. When I arrived there were three cars in the parking lot but the building was locked up. I tried all the doors, including the unmarked doors. I was early, so I hung around in the parking lot. Finally a person came outside about 30 minutes later, confused as to why I was there at all. Turns out my crystal ball was malfunctioning. The time, date and location for my appointment was wrong. It seems that person thought I should have known the info on their website was wrong and it gave out wrong info and they had no idea why I didn't magically know this.

Well, pardon me!

There was a city park nearby completely empty with some interesting art work on display and a beautiful water fountain. I am drawn to water. I ambled over to study the fountain and it's 36 jets. Perhaps I could meditate for inner peace and tell myself to stop being annoyed at another technology snafu.

Surprisingly there were no coins in the fountain. Back in the old days... folks would make a wish and toss a coin in a pretty fountain. Maybe that's not done anymore, or maybe no one visits this fountain or maybe times are so tough someone already purloined the coins. Maybe no one carries around coins anymore. Maybe it's considered littering these days or maybe there is a new law out about that.

 I tried to use my  phone to take a picture of some of the fountain and some of the sculptures on display. It kept flashing a message "failure". I messed around with the dadgum phone trying to get it to work.  I thought about just hurling  the phone into the fountain for a "float test" make a wish and then just walk away.

My phone works randomly for phone calls and rarely for anything else. It's not even a year old.  I don't use the mountain of aps it came stuffed with and the powers to be won't let me delete them but my phone burns up a lot of battery time updating these aps and sending me endless messages about all this updating. When I dare to use one of these aps, such as the camera function, it malfunctions.
 
A half hour later I tried again and did manage to "fix" the phone camera then snag a picture (above) of the eagle sculpture against the foreboding sky. No pics of the fountain. A few days later I figured how to email the eagle pic to myself so I could download it and then upload it here. 

Amazing! I felt so triumphant! I had conquered my camera ap and made it WORK.

I had arrived in 2019, I could actually take a pic with my phone and use it. Progress!

But...

A few hours later...

I  accidentally discovered that in spite of my phone being prepaid through June 25th, people were calling me and getting a recorded message "this phone number has been changed or disconnected or is no longer in service".

When does June 16 mean June 25th? Is there new calendar math I  am clueless about?

Is this because I took that picture of the eagle sculpture?

Indeed I could not make any outgoing calls either. I kept getting a robot message that my phone wasn't "activated".  Incredibly... there was a notification flashing on my phone that google had updated 9 aps that I don't even use or understand what they are for and don't really have time to learn them, because apparently I am still trying to figure out how to receive and make calls.

How do I tell google, please install or update that "ap" that allows me to make and receive calls?


If you call me and hear gurgling noises, you will know I went back to visit that pretty fountain, make a wish and float test my phone.

Life is goof.





2 comments:

  1. I posted yesterday, but it didn't take. I just wanted to say that I have read your blog straight through from 2009 to current - and I hope you are feeling better just lately, and that technology will allow you to continue writing. I love that you face your challenges head-on with intelligence and persistence, sprinkled with a wonderful sense of humor. Thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made my day! WOW! Thank you so much for reading and commenting. If anything... I cure insomnia.

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!