Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Touché!

I could be at home in this...

I like this teepee available at Amazon. 





Thanks for all the fabulous commnents on my April Fool's column.  You made my day.


I had no idea there would be so much fallout from that article.  It was a rather comical day all around.  Some people didn't read the post all the way through or didn't read it at all, just scanned the headline and then contacted me directly. 





A complete kitchen!


So it was a double April Fool's on some readers. 


For fun, I sent the link to some  friends  that don't read my stuff.  Indeed, some of my cohorts don't even know I write or that I have an alter ego.  


A few  people just scanned the article, but not enough to realize it was a joke and a hoax. They fired off emails or phone calls or both to me assuming that I had SOLD the RV.  


A few read as far as the part that I was camping in a tent with a suitcase full of cash.


Apparently, more than a couple of  folks think I am eccentric enough to be up to gawd-knows-what next, so the fact that I might be living in a little tent with a bag full of cash seemed to them, a realistic scenario.  


An inflatable outdoor den.  I could get real comfy here and have friends over too. 
Well, only two friends at a time, as the dog and I will take up two chairs. 

A few emails came in with panicked messages "What are you going to do next?" or "Where are you going to live?"  or "You can't stay in a tent with all that cash!"


One congratulated me on my "good fortune".  


A friend called up wanting to know my address so he could ship me a much nicer tent to live in, than the uber cheap one I purported to buy. What an angel!


And a believer. 


Two people wrote me asking for money. Share the wealth.  (I'd love to!)


Three people warned me I was being scammed or that the money was fake.


Someone I briefly dated a long time ago,  volunteered to immediately come to my "rescue"  assuring me he had a secure safe I could stash my cash in at his place and I was welcome to pitch my tent there too. Free of charge... save me the expense of paying $10 a night here for tent camping.


Many readers were brutally honest (they read the entire article) and admitted I actually fooled them until the ending. 


One email read "What's next?  A yurt in Hawaii or a TeePee in Tahoe?"

Astonishingly, several friends from the Caribbean contacted me, wanting to know when I was coming back to the islands. 


Some more email quotes:



You got me !  My mouth was hanging open in shock !  Bad girl!


Yes I sat down this morning with a cup of tea and as always check your blog, forgot it was April fool yesterday and I thought yes she’s defiantly lost the plot this time !!



Hardee har har!!  You had me going there...!!  I thought, OMG, how is this going to work out??!!??!


Guess I was happy for you.......but before we all get too excited, what is this rumour I hear that you are returning to your island?


u r soooooooooooooooooooooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Congratulations!  Not unlike what is said about a boat.......the best days are when you buy her, and when you sell. Wish you all the luck in the world in your search for a replacement. Hopefully beter days are now ahead.

No RV!  Yikes!!  I have a better tent I can send you, if you get me an address!!  We have several, from Boy Scout camping.  I'll call you later today, to catch up

*Sold yours after I sold mine. Buyer picked it up today. If you're gonna tent camp, i will get one too and pitch it up next to you. We can share site cost :))


*My friend April Fooled me by claiming he had sold his nearly new RV and was coming to tent camp with me.   Touché!


Someone else found me a 12volt cooler with an air-conditioner. What a concept!  I like creative ideas. 


2 comments:

  1. OH, after reading this, I'm glad I didn't do an aprils fools "sold my RV" on my blog after all! Course, with the recentleaks & damages on mine, I'm pretty sure that some people would think I'd be better off in a tent
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I DID read it all the way through... but since I've only been reading/writing blogs for a few months didn't give it a second thought... my favorite thing about most of the blogs I read is how normal their eccentricies (is that a word?) are.... love your follow-up!

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!