Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Land Charters

From the mailbag came this delightful note:


Dear Miss Mermaid

You’ll like this my love, hope you got those windows clean, and I love your little pup. I admire what you are doing and I would like to do it as well! I love the sea as much as you, I’ve been on over 20 cruises, some good, some not so good. I think those days are gone, I want to stay at home with my three dogs (Italian Greyhounds) and two old cats. I’m an introvert, it’s apparent that you are not, take the Myers-Brigg test online to see what you are but I know the answer. It’s warm in Florida and it’s cold as a witch’s behind up here. I just wish I could be on one of your ships, doesn’t matter, expensive or economy style, you would have made it fun and the ships need that these days. To hell with the Captain’s Table and all that stuff, where did the fun go? Keep on keeping on! With love, Jim



Dear Jim,


Thanks for the lovely email!  Between rains, storms and possible tornado threats, I've been spared washing the outside windows. Central Florida had such extreme weather recently that power was knocked out, several homes and businesses were damaged, and it wasn't even a hurricane. Makes me wonder how they are building around here. 


I've met Italian Greyhounds in my travels. Do yours speak English or do you press paw for Italian?


My dog can speak fluent Yappaneese, but he doesn't understand much English at all. We're working on that. 


I envy you having cats, hardly a day goes by that I don't seriously grieve losing my cats last year. Just recently, I looked at their pictures, and though my bottom lip quivered, I didn't burst into tears, like I usually do. But it was tough not to. 


I took that Myers-Brigg test.  It said I was a hopelessly lost mermaid with grand delusions of being human. 


As for the ships, I absolutely loved working at sea, entertaining guests, traveling to far flung ports. I toiled on Charter Yachts, Private Yachts, Tall Ships and even one Cruise Ship. Mostly I stuck to sailboats, but I did give my try at motoryachts. It was a semi-famous motoryacht that unwittingly launched my career at sea.  Once folks saw that yacht on my resume, I pretty much had the job sewed up. 


But now my body is severely battered from those years at sea. They don't want me anymore. They chew you up, spit you out, then you're done. I should have been compensated for my injuries, but I wasn't and that's a whole boring story, sure to cure insomnia. 


Getting work at sea, isn't as easy now as it was then. The governments have mucked up lots of things, making life more complicated rather than easier. 


Now if I could figure out how to charter my motorhome.  I have taken a solo friend here and there on land charters.  It reminded me of being at sea, except we had wheels instead of sails. I still did all the driving, cleaning, cooking, plus picking out beautiful anchorages for the night. I did the work, they relaxed and brought the wallet.  


I didn't even charge them a thing for the endless entertainment provided by my first mate, that ridiculous rat in a dog costume, masquerading as a miniature wolf. 
Wolfman Harley, the wonder dog who thinks he's a wolf and hasn't a clue he only weighs 6 pounds.
This is a rare picture with BOTH his ears up.
Customarily, he only has the right ear up, and the left one down.  






A Big Thank You To  Angels
Who Help Support a Recovering Mermaid

Subscribe to Dear Miss Mermaid  for only 3 cents per day
Support a Crazy Mermaid
Step 1 Make a PaymentStep 2 Sign up for Email Posts (Optional)

Subscribe to Dear Miss Mermaid
Subscription Delivered to your Email
Dear Miss Mermaid...the OTHER Blog!
(no spam, just the blog)
***You can buy a subscription without the email updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Life is goof!