Monday, May 27, 2019

Your Stairway Lies on the Whispering Wind

Stairway to Heaven



A beautiful day in paradise.

This looks like a good used vehicle for me. When I get lost I can just zip up the stairs and take a grand view of things. I could back it up to my 5th wheel roof and see what's fallen on it next.  Sometimes squirrels or birds toss things down or the massive oak trees drop a dead branch in a high wind. Often it's just quiet leaves or needles from the cedar tree that rest up there until the next wind or rains cart them away.

Driving this truck, I wouldn't have to worry about losing my vehicle in a crowded parking lot. I could probably find it pretty easy.

It's a real bargain, all it needs (according to the current owner) is  very MINOR work and a shovel to dig it out.  Minor work being; some mirrors,  radiator, transmission oh and an engine, probably get a rebuilt one for cheap. Amazing how helpful the current owner is to point these minor things out for me.

This truck for some strange reason reminds me of  Stairway to Heaven, the iconic song written by Jimmy Page and Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)

 “Stairway to Heaven” is one of their most famous recordings, and many consider it the greatest rock song of all time.

The song resonated with listeners, opening up a door to a different realm of spirituality and transporting them into a more mystical view of life. The vagueness of the lyrics also allowed listeners to interpret the song in their own way, adding to the magic and mystery of the abstract lyrics.

Back in my 20's I used to play this on the piano with something like 22 pages of sheet music. I have no musical ear, but I could read sheet music and play on an old upright piano for my own fun. 

Recently a friend sent me their recorded version and I thought it was superior to Led Zeppelin's.
So I've had great fun listening to both versions and trying to remember how on earth did I ever manage those 22 pages on the piano? I remember it was complicated and it took me a long time to finally get good enough to make it through the entire song. On piano.

Life is goof!

You can listen to Stairway to Heaven here.

Lyrics to Stairway to Heaven:
 

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven

There's a sign on the wall, but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings
In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven

Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, it makes me wonder

There's a feeling I get when I look to the west
And my spirit is crying for leaving
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those who stand looking
  
Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, it really makes me wonder

And it's whispered that soon, if we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the May queen
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on
And it makes me wonder

Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know
The piper's calling you to join him
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind?

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
And she's buying a stairway to heaven


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh and Happy Memorial Day and thank you for spending a spell here today.





1 comment:

  1. Love that song! It's one of my favorites. Have you watched Heart perform that song at the Kennedy Center? It was wonderful. The surviving members of Led Zeppelin were in the audience and were quite moved by the performance. Thanks for the interesting post! - Kathy

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!