Sunday, June 05, 2011

Dogs and Fleas At The Movie House


In 2006, someone sent me one of those silly questionnaires.  Usually I don't have time to answer such things, but I apparently answered this one. 


Curiously, someone sent me a copy of of my old 2006 replies today.  I suppose because it had a funny story in the middle of it. It's also an odd snapshot of my life on a tiny island. Most of the spelling is British, I guess the questions originated from there perhaps. 
One day, I tried to draw a picture of myself, when I had curly hair...
I give new meaning to the term "starving artist"



Getting to know your friends...  These were my replies in 2006
    

1. What time is it? 
633pm Atlantic Standard Time (I was living in the Caribbean at the time, this was written in 2006)


2. What's your full name ?  
Dear Miss Mermaid

3. What are you most afraid of? 
Lots of things! But I try not to let it bother me. 


   4. What is the most recent movie that you have seen in a theatre? 
Theatre?  


We don't have those where I live in the Caribbean right now. We used to have an old one down town. Someone dragged me there once. I really didn't want to go, but my friend insisted I should go at least ONCE. 


We got there and it was full of dogs and the tattered carpet full of fleas, people walked in and out throughout the movie ad talked non stop and fetched  food from the place next door, like burgers and Heinekeins.  


Sometimes beer bottles would roll past, and we would kick them on down further until there was a big pile at the front near the screen, which was dirty and kind of  uneven. Folks  were loudly slapping the fleas off themselves much of the time, and laughing out loud, chatting away, some were making out and two looked like they were making a baby.  


The folks in the back row were smoking pot, the best seats had a leaky air conditioner unit above them, so most folks only sat there for about 2 minutes. 


Then  the film strip  broke part way through the movie and  after awhile the little projection man came out and said "Finish" cause he couldn't repair the movie, so we all got up and left.  


Even the sleeping dogs left.   


I was laughing so hard, as we walked out, and my friend, said "See?  I told you it would be fun!"  


They tore the place down a few months later. For the life of me, I don't know why. 


5. Place of birth?
I think it was St Francis Hospital in Greenville, SC


6. Favourite food?
All of them!


7. What's your natural hair colour? 
Brown


8. Have you traveled?
  Yep, I have traveled to SC, NC, Fla, GA, La, Ala., Nev, Tx, Ohio, Ca, Va, W.Va., Ark, Miss, Tenn, Ky,  New Mexico, Ariz., Hawaii, New Hampshire, Maine, Mass, Maryland, Penn, dozens of  Bahama Islands, dozens of  Caribbean Islands including Puerto Rico, Virgins, Leewards,  Windwards, French Islands, Trinidad, Margarita, Barbados, Venezuela, Mexico, Brazil and Canada. 


Many travels were made by boat, some by plane, some by train, a few by car, some by hitchiking.  I've ridden bicycles, motorcycles, horses, donkeys and an elephant. I've traversed rivers, lakes and oceans, by canoe, inner tube, raft, kayak,  yachts, tall ships, an old cruise ship, a long line fishing boat,  and so on. 


I've spent 10-30 days offshore without land in sight.  I was once rescued off an upside down, half sunken  boat in the Pacific through a stroke of pure luck. 


9. Do you scrunch or fold (toilet paper)? 
Let's not go there...


10. Love someone so much it made you cry?
Of course. 


11. Been in a car accident? 
Yes - three very bad ones, the first I was the driver and broke the steering wheel with my face when I was about 16, the next one a truck ran right over our car, I was a passenger and we survived as we wore our seatbelts even though there wasn't a law about it then, and the third one was a head on in St Thomas while I was a passenger. 


 Some say my head hasn't been right since. I was rescued in the Pacific, (above) and in two  bad boat accidents in the Caribbean, one that tore out my shoulder and bruised me from my knee to my underarm to my wrist, the other  that tore up my leg and knee. My boating days have pretty much slowed down since the last one.  


I used to walk with the aid of cranes, canes and walkers, after the last surgery, they fixed my limp and I walk, stumble and fall  unaided now. *giggle*  I slipped and fell down a few weeks ago, and I thought WOW, I haven't done that in ages!  (***2011 note, within a year after this was written in 2006, I busted my other leg, the good one, in three places and spent another year in therapy learning to walk without a limp...)

12. Croutons or bacon bits? 
Um, Can I have the whole salad?


13. Favourite day of the week?
 Today works for me!


14. Favourite Restaurant? 
Lordy, that is tough, but my most memorable restaurant experience was in New Orleans at "Anything Goes".

15. Favourite Flower?  
Send me any you like!  I love them all!


16. Favourite sport to watch? 
I like to watch my cats play with cat nip, not sure that qualifies!


17. Favourite Drink? 
100% Juice, any kind, as long as it's 100% juice, lately I drink 36-48  ounces of juice as  lunch everyday, the doc said I had a vitamin C deficiency again, so I am fighting that and battling the bulge, so far I have lost exactly two point three ounces of weight...


18. Favourite ice cream?  
Not much for ice cream, maybe once a year I eat some


19. Disney or Warner Brothers?  
I like comedy without the canned laughed tracks. 


20. Favourite fast food restaurant? 
Well, here again, we don't have those where I live now, if we did would I be drinking a liquid lunch? (Yes!)


21. What colour is your bedroom.   
Well, it is gorgeous, my friend painted it with this special technique in several shades of coral and deep dark pinks. It looks like suede or puffy clouds.


22. How many times have you failed your driver's test
I passed the first time in SC, passed the first time in Florida, failed 3 times in a row in California, (after driving only 20 years!)  I  passed the first time in the British Virgin Islands where I now live. 

24. What do you do most often when you are bored? 
Sleep. Nap. Doze. Nod off.   


25. Bedtime? 
Drives me batty these days, I can't sleep more than a few hours at a time. I wake up at odd ours, get up and do things, then go back to bed. I am saving up for a mail order  "Cuddle Ewe" underbed since I can't seem to get a waterbed anywhere around here. 


26. Who will respond to this e-mail the quickest?  
No idea. 


27. Who is the person you sent this to, that is least likely to respond?  
Don't know.


28 Who is the person that you are most curious to see their answers?  
All of them!


29. What means the most to you? 
Today.  


30 Favorite TV shows? 
 I don't know maybe "Little People, Big World" on the discovery channel, a documentary on a unique family in Oregon. 


31. Ford or Chevy?  
Neither, I like my trusty rusty 4wd Suzuki Samurai (not sold in US, thanks to  lawyers)  mine is South American Specs, came with  no heat and a broken A/C.  A similar model was sold in the  US, ages ago,  briefly, but it you drive it  super fast  and make a sharp sudden  turn, it rolls over, so the lawsuits chased it out of the US


32. What music are you listening to right now?
 None, my Bose CD stereo broke and I am heartbroken over it. 


33. What is your favourite colour  
Red and purple, hard to choose just ONE


34. How many tattoos do you have? 
None.  But now that I have hundreds of scars, I have thought of getting some to cover up the scars, but I doubt I ever will. 


35. How many pets do you have?  
Three cats. The other 59 horses, birds, dogs, monkeys and assorted  critters living here do not belong to me. When I first moved in to my current place, my neighbor asked me one day about my horse. I said I don't have a horse, and she said, Oh, well one moved in the day you did, so I just thought it was yours. I miss having my own dog.  My friend got a tiny Pomeranian and if I were a thief, I would steal him away from her, but I'm not and I won't. 


36. Which came first the chicken or the egg? 
I don't know where all these chickens, hens and roosters came from, I have searched the property looking for eggs, without success. Seems silly I have to buy my own eggs and then walk by 100+ chickens to get up to my place. 

37. What would you like to accomplish/do before you die? 
I want to get well, I want to love and be loved, and I have a BIG dream I am keeping a BIG secret, and  if it happens, everyone will hear from me!  (2011 note, the big dream was getting my book "Hurricanes and Hangovers" published, and it did happen!)


38. How many people are you sending this e-mail to?  
Several


39. What is your star Sign?  
Nothing on my dressing room door yet....matter of fact no one has given me a dressing room yet or made me a star or put up a sign..




A Big Thank You To  Angels
Who Help Support a Recovering Mermaid

Subscribe to Dear Miss Mermaid  for only 3 cents per day
Support a Crazy Mermaid
Step 1 Make a Payment Step 2 Sign up for Email Posts (Optional)

Subscribe to Dear Miss Mermaid
Subscription Delivered to your Email
Dear Miss Mermaid...the OTHER Blog!
(no spam, just the blog)
***You can buy a subscription without the email updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Life is goof!