Thursday, June 02, 2011

Heat Wave

Thursday already and I haven't posted since Monday. It's been a real comedy around here. Memorial Day Weekend was crazy here, very busy.  People were in a wild mode I guess. 


For days now I keep waking up with every bone in my body aching, like I broke them all. It's made it super hard to get much done but I keep pushing myself.

Over the holiday weekend, I was cleaning up an area of garbage, it's not part of my duties at all, but I like to "Keep America Beautiful".  A family joined in to help me!  So there are good people out there. I later learned this family has been through some rough hardships. They lost their home, then their business.  Their family is split up, staying with various relatives. They were just trying to have a happy day at the lake. I sure appreciate their garbage help. Much of the garbage I find is within 50 feet of the numerous garbage cans in this park.  Rather sad that so many are apparently so lazy. 



I have this silly belief that if we all pick up "anonymous" garbage, we can make this land beautiful!


We've had this incredible heat wave where temperatures have hovered near 100F this week. Most unusual.  I love the fresh air, but frankly, I've scrambled to close the windows and crank up the air-conditioner. 


I went to get my roof repaired, was gone 2 days,  it nearly turned into a disaster, when I've calmed down, I will explain more. Right now I am just too upset to discuss it.   In the meantime I've got to sell more books and subscriptions.  


Life's a mess, then we clean it up. 


Hartwell Lake where I volunteer, had our first drowning of the year, on Memorial Day.  The body was recovered by divers on Tuesday.  So tragically sad. He and others were clinging to a big hunk of Styrofoam, when he fell off and drowned. It's unclear whether he could swim or not. Just really tragic.  He was only 18. 






Thursday before the holiday weekend started, we lost a fisherman, which I wrote about earlier. Another woman who was hit by a jetski required 40 stitches to her head. So all in all not bad I guess, but still it's amazing to lose 2 people at the start of the season. The lake is about 56,000 acres in all, but the shoreline is an incredible 962 miles. 


Houses can rarely be seen from the lake, because of the tree laws, so it does make for a beautiful place. Land has been slowly released for sale over the years, so the lake wasn't all built-up at once. 


I understand there were several drunken boating arrests, BUI's, boating under the influence.  Oh boy, what a zoo.


To make matters worse, they believe we have a gang of thieves working by boat to rob lake houses, boats and marinas. Some boating thieves were arrested, but the thefts have continued, rather brazen. Nothing in this area, thank goodness. 


Maybe because the Bark Ranger is on patrol. 




A Big Thank You To  Angels
Who Help Support a Recovering Mermaid

Subscribe to Dear Miss Mermaid  for only 3 cents per day
Support a Crazy Mermaid
Step 1 Make a Payment Step 2 Sign up for Email Posts (Optional)

Subscribe to Dear Miss Mermaid
Subscription Delivered to your Email
Dear Miss Mermaid...the OTHER Blog!
(no spam, just the blog)
***You can buy a subscription without the email updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Life is goof!