Monday, August 08, 2011

Wild Blue Yonder

If you are reading this, then I am out of range with no internet hookup.


I've driven off the map, into the wild blue yonder for a day or two or so. 


Previously I wrote this post, in case my internet doesn't work where I am going, it will automatically post, if I don't change or delete it before then. 


I am going on an interview, so I might as well check out the forest. The "A" is not where I am at, but I was trying to get a map of the Chattahoochee Forest in Georgia  and that dang "A" stuck itself there and I can't seem to remove it. 




The last time I was in the Chattahoochee, I was river rafting with a group of friends.  That was back in the early 80's.  My friend who arranged the trip, brought her husband with her. That was a huge mistake.  He whined, moaned, fussed, complained, cursed, and  hollered practically nonstop the entire trip. In his eyes, his wife could do nothing right at all, so he screamed constantly at her. 


We had two river rafts full of people. When we finally stopped for a break ashore, I insisted those two be in separate rafts, while he protested mightily. It was so hard to enjoy the thrill of the trip with his mouth going on endlessly.  


Incredibly as we set out again, he starts screaming directions and complaints at his wife's paddling and she is not even in the same boat with him!  I steered us right over to a rock, so his raft could pass us down the river. Now he was in front of us, so he had to turn around to scream at her, but the first time he did, he was somehow bounced right out of his raft into the icy cold river. We all burst out laughing while he was yelling "This is not funny!"


We had a great time, but when I think back on that weekend, I can still hear him fussing the entire time. A year later, his wife called me because she was arranging another river rafting trip. 


No thanks!  She seemed a bit hurt, I felt really bad for her. I said I loved her dearly, but could not spend another day with her tyrant of a husband in a small boat on a remote river. Life was so beautiful. He never saw an inch of the magnificent forest, he was too busy yelling. A few weeks later, I asked her how the trip went, she said they never went, no one would go with them. 


Years later, they did eventually divorce, but by then, I think they had virtually no friends at all. She spent years living in that crazy world. I saw her after the divorce, she looked so old for her age, just beat down and haggard. But a few years later, I happened to see her and was surprised, she looked much younger. I guess the stress of that scene had finally wore off. 


Life is wonderful!  Enjoy each and every day with a great big smile on your face. 

Hurricanes and Hangovers and Other Tall Tales and Loose Lies from the Coconut Telegraph by Dear Miss Mermaid

1 comment:

  1. I’m so sorry when people can’t distinguish between when its time to have deep heartfelt conversation and when to SHUT-UP ALREADY!! Nature, especially when in the midst of whatever majesty takes your fancy, deserves a little reverence. I hope you have an awesome time (and the interview) and come back refreshed. So happy for you!

    Dean
    http://leftcoastguy.com

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!