Saturday, August 20, 2011

Coffee, Lemonade and Storms

It's 3am and I am wide awake drinking Hazelnut coffee laced with low fat milk.  A storm has broken out complete with thunder, lightning, rumblings, mumblings and copious amounts of rain. 


I've been feeling terribly weak and having to rest up often.  Now I am trying to stay awake and get things done. So far, I've managed to stare out the window monitoring the storm, while rubbing the sleepy puppy's belly. 


My awning is still put away but my patio stuff is outside, so everything is getting soaked. I'm not going out in the dark alone out here to cover it all up. The wild life hunts at night. I don't wish to disturb them nor become part of the food chain. 


I enjoy strong dark coffee with nearly equal amounts of milk. When I was working in Venezuela, I became hooked on strong coffee. Many of my American  friends choke on my coffee, preferring to add equal amounts of water to it before they add their own accouterments. 


Hazelnut coffee was deeply discounted at the store, so I bought some. Oh my gosh, what a treat that has turned out to be. It is wonderful stuff, tasting naturally sweet. I had no idea flavored coffee could be so delightful. I've always shied away from flavored coffees preferred super strong black stuff that makes the spoon take notice and stand up straight. (Some say my coffee  can corrode a spoon.)


Hazelnuts are full of antioxidants, plus B and E vitamins. It's used to flavor Frangelico too. 


My little old wheel estate came with an undercabinet Black and Decker coffee maker, that I found out was an option that Fleetwood installed. According to the coffeemaker manual, it is circa 1993 and still perking along nicely. I'd love to have the new and improved undercabinet coffee maker by Black and Decker that now includes a thermal carafe. Mine just has the regular fragile glass carafe. Dream on! I'm going to have to sell a lot of lemonade or books or both. 

I set up a lemonade stand on my blog, in the right column. :)  If anyone wants to buy lemonade, it goes to a great cause!  (An eccentric recuperating mermaid...)



Hurricanes and Hangovers and Other Tall Tales and Loose Lies from the Coconut Telegraph by Dear Miss Mermaid

3 comments:

  1. I really like coffee. Since I have spent a lot of my time drinking coffee on ships that have folks that need to keep awake and military installations, it is always strong. So now that is the only way I can drink it.

    I understand about not wanting to head out in the night to retrieve stuff. I am not too worried about becoming part of the food chain. But a lot time in the southwest has me a paranoid about stepping on snakes in the dark:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooo I'm scared now. Coffee does Rock

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sawasdee ka *-*

    I come to visit you blog naka

    lily

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!