Saturday, August 06, 2011

Water Phobia

Yesterday the rains came briefly, but enough so that  the heat wave was chased away.  Harley and I took a walk during a light sprinkle. He has really overcome his water phobia. 


He has learned to walk across the foot bridge over the water to the floating boat dock.  He used to strain at the leash with sheer terror written all over his fury face. 


When I wade into the lake waters, he wades in with me. Once in a great while he will swim. He used to be terrified. Now he doesn't seem to give it a second thought. 


If the least little bit of rain dared to sprinkle on his fur, he would act highly insulted and cry mightily.  Now he doesn't mind if a little rain enters his life. 


He used to be a terror to bathe, managing to douse me with as much water and puppy shampoo as possible. I always needed a shower and change of clothes afterwards. Now he stands there stoically, while I lather up his entire body, allowing me to rinse him clean.  He actually enjoys his bath now, but he doesn't want me to know that. 



When the heat became oppressive, I started putting one or two ice cubes in his water bowl. At first,the treated the ice cube with pure suspicion. Then he discovered the joys of icy cold water on a hot humid day. 

He has learned when he is wet, that he has to give himself a few good shakes, before I will open the motorhome door. Then he stands on the inside door mat, waiting for me to dry his feet off. Some days he actually dries his own feet on the rug. 

I guess I can finally sigh with relief, puppy is growing up and he is done with his water phobias. 

He is my first super small dog. In the past, I always had large dogs. I never knew little dogs could be so much fun. He is a handful to train though.  So many things I feel he should have learned by now, but he is cat-like in his indifference to some commands. But I shall persevere. If he can overcome his fear of water, he can learn a few commands. 

Some days he seems to have a selective learning disability. He only learns what suits him, not me. 


Hurricanes and Hangovers and Other Tall Tales and Loose Lies from the Coconut Telegraph by Dear Miss Mermaid











No comments:

Post a Comment


Life is goof!