Thursday, August 04, 2011

Not Goofy

Hartwell Lake has receded. This is just a section in a tiny cove (below).  The mud has dried up enough that Harley and I are hiking the lake shore. 


The heat wave really got to me yesterday I guess. I was up all night recycling liquids through my parched body. I thought I was pouring enough down the gullet during the heat of the day, but I also did a lot of walking yesterday. Matter of fact, so much  walking  that my new darker  tan made me feel so at home, as if I was back in the Caribbean. 




Georgia State Parks are fun to stay in. One really cool thing about their reservation system, is that they just hold the spot for you but it's not a particular campsite. Once you arrive, it's first come, first serve. You can pick out a spot and you don't need to notify them which spot. Most give you a little card to hang at the spot, so others know it's taken. 


If another spot vacates that you take a fancy to, you can just move on over. 


Last year I briefly had a sales position,  working in my motorhome, driving all day doing sales, and camping at night at  a Georgia State Park. It was fun to return each evening, choosing a different spot to set up camp. The job itself turned out to be rather scam-ish and I soon parted company. By then I had spent a small fortune making sales on their behalf, but it seemed they wanted you to work for months, pumping large amounts of gasoline daily into the motorhome,  before you ever earned a dime in commission. The entire job was  complicated. It also required about 16 hours a day of paper pushing in triplicate on numerous forms, no internet or computer use allowed. A very backwards way to to do things all around, given these days and times. I realized a little too late, that this job was never going to work out, but the dog and I were sure exhausted each day. 


At  least we ended up in a funky new camping spot each night that varied wildly from the last one. 


Lately it's been so hot, that even Harley races for the door to come inside. He also loves ice cubes in his water bowl. When he hears the plop plop of ice and fresh water going into his bowl, he races over enthusiastically, his little tail wagging in delight. Some times he gulps down so much water so fast, that his goatee is dripping, making his goofy looks even more comical. 
I have no idea why so many say "Aw, he's so ugly, he's cute!"
I bathe him, brush him, groom him, but he prefers to redo his own fur-do when I finish.
Rumor is, he really does have two ears, but he loves that lopsided look. 


I washed his dog bed, in my compact washer, then put it out in the bright hot sunshine to dry.He was very worried, wondering if I had lost my mind. Once it dried and moved back indoors, he seemed tremendously relieved. He gave it a thorough sniffing over once it came back inside. 


Last summer, a cat visited inside the wheel estate. The cat tried out Harley's bed for size and comfort. It's actually a bed I bought for Harley in the cat department, because he is so small. After the cat left, Harley refused to use his bed at all, when it had been his favorite place to sleep, nap, play and repose. So the pet parent ran it through the washer and dryer for him.  Once it was back in his spot, he sniffed it over carefully, but still waited another two days before he would resume using it. 


We have a raccoon that comes by every day to see if I have left the outside garbage can  open for him. He sure is optimistic. I made sure to get Harley's bed back inside before the raccoon showed up. I could just see  him carting that off to make his lair. 


The new little fawn is alive and well. He scampers past the motorhome, as if to taunt me while I grab the camera, snapping yet another blurry picture of him. I need to teach him "Stop! Stay!" commands so I can snap a decent picture. He really does blend right in with the scenery. He is oh so cute and fun to watch.

Hurricanes and Hangovers and Other Tall Tales and Loose Lies from the Coconut Telegraph by Dear Miss Mermaid

No comments:

Post a Comment


Life is goof!