Sunday, March 11, 2012

Armadillo

It never pays to walk without my camera. The darnedest things happen when I do!  Harley dog and I were in Lot 13 at  Wickham Park in Melbourne Florida.  We had just locked up the wheel estate to go for a walk. 


Something made a rustle in the bushes, behind the RV.  Out strutted a huge armadillo, pretty as you please. He was nearly triple the size of my puppy dog. We both just stood there staring at the critter. 


He totally ignored us, crossed the lawn, then went back into some overgrowth, as if we didn't exist at all. 


Harley never said a woof. 


Can you believe it?  He was speechless.  


It's been a busy year for us. We've seen lots of wild critters up close from a huge mama turtle laying her eggs, to a red fox running right past us.  Then there was the mountain lion that gave us quite a fright.  Add to that turkey, deer, eagle, coyote, rabbit, cows, horses, ponies, alligators and crocodiles. 


But I never expected to see an armadillo in central Melbourne.  It gives a whole new meaning to the rustic campground in the center of town. 




"Hey armadillo!  Look at me!  I got a tennis ball!  

2 comments:

  1. Must have been quite odd for Harley that he didn't make a sound.
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Armadillo trivia: they can carry leprosy. I think they use it as a threat so we don't try to touch them.

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!