Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Whether the Weather is Right or Not

My brain is off and in a fog. Nothing new there.  


For over 12 years, I was a volunteer weather and disaster correspondent in the Caribbean. The weather happening on the islands was vastly different than what was being reported through news agencies. 


At the time the site StormCarib.Com was started, weather reports from the islands just weren't available much. The internet was still new, and while weather for the US was becoming available online, weather for the islands was not. 


Of course now, every weather site and their mirror, now offers up worldwide weather. The problem is, it's often just not right, so my daily reporting was more on target than the big mega sites could offer. During hurricanes, floods and other emergencies, I often reported every few minutes or hourly.  Sometimes I was doing this by laptop computer without electricity. In the early days, I was able to plug my cell phone into the modem, dial up to AOL, then upload my email reports, which were then posted on the website. During one hurricane, I was using a candle to see the laptop keyboard while I typed a quick report, then did the auto upload by cell phone, then shut the laptop off, to conserve the battery, since electricity was literally blown away in the hurricane. 


Now that I am on Hartwell Lake, I find the internet weather reports to be different from the weather I am experiencing here. It sures makes me wonder where they are getting their info. 


Maybe I should start reporting the weather here, as I see and feel it.



A Big Thank You To  Angels
Who Help Support a Recovering Mermaid

Subscribe to Dear Miss Mermaid  for only 3 cents per day
Support a Crazy Mermaid
Step 1 Make a Payment Step 2 Sign up for Email Posts (Optional)

Subscribe to Dear Miss Mermaid
Subscription Delivered to your Email
Dear Miss Mermaid...the OTHER Blog!
(no spam, just the blog)
***You can buy a subscription without the email updates.

1 comment:

  1. I've noticed that wherever you are, the weather is never completely accurate. That's why, the best reports come from those who are experiencing it. It's a good idea, I think, for you to post it. That way, it at least is the truth somewhere!

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!