Thursday, August 23, 2018

Where To Camp

Where to camp; when a picture is worth 8 words.

where to camp

More News of the WEIRD...

I was studying the map for riding my bicycle in a rural area of Florida in Sumter County. This section is rife with beautiful tree lined dead end roads. Many end up in someone's front yard! I am never sure if I am on a public road or a private driveway. Being that country folk are known for their generous ownership of guns, I try my best not to accidentally trespass especially after seeing a sign one day that read "Due to the high cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot."

One day I saw a yard sale sign at the bottom of a long driveway. At the end of the driveway, I could see a very long ranch style brick home with furniture  and tables outside.  I need a chair, so I took a chance and rode my bicycle up the driveway. There were two golf carts for sale so I looked at those and inquired about prices because my friend is wanting to buy a used one. There was a plethora of curious items displayed outside including enough fishing gear to open up a tackle shop..Then I noticed a big deep garage with the overhead doors thrown open. The attached garage faced the side of the house making the entrance not visible from the street. At the far end of the garage sat an elderly man next to a lighted table lamp. Next to him was an easy chair for sale. The man gave me a warm welcome and began chatting as I wandered up to look at the chair. As I got closer I realized it was too big for my intended space in my little old RV fifth wheel.

I turned around to look at the tables set up and that's when my jaw fell to my knees. With my eyes on the easy chair as I walked inside, I had not noticed the gear on the tables to the far right. Now I clearly noticed. There were well over 70 guns laid out for sale. Possibly 100 or more from my crude counting of how much space the first 10 guns took up. At some point, I picked up my jaw and strolled back to my bicycle. Cars were coming up the driveway, so I figured it was safe enough for me to turn my back to ride out of there... quickly!

OK, back to map studying and weird news...

On the map, I noted that county road 532 west is one of the few roads that connect highway 301 with Main street. At the corner is Tema Cemetery. I was thinking there was something I had previously read about the cemetery being a historical spot. But then again, aren't all cemeteries a historical spot?

While googling Tema Cemetary, Floida, I came up with this article from Ghana about their Tema Cemetery.

How google got Florida and Ghana confused is one of those techno mysteries I just don't understand.

Mortuary men seize corpse at cemetery over GHc150 debt

Astonishingly they include a picture of two mortuary men carting off the dead body on their shoulders after removing it from the coffin. Apparently the coffin was paid for, but the mortuary services for preparing the body were not.

Eventually I found out the local Tema Cemetery was established in 1882.  It contains many homemade stones and slabs.

So to make a long story longer, if I turn down the road by the cemetery, I won't end up in someone's front yard.


Life is goof.

THANK you for stopping by today I am happy to report I am on the  right side of the grass today.



2 comments:

  1. You seem very sensitive about guns. One of my memories on our old Missouri farm was being taught to drive in the pastures on a "stick shift" old car. Dad would sit on the hood (trusting soul). It was night and the headlights would cause rabbits to freeze so dad could shoot one. We went through some extreme times and these rabbits put food on the table. I was very young and couldn't eat much of the kill. It was too much reality. People need guns here to kill coyotes and wild pigs, and rattle snakes. Guns do have their place at least where we live. All that said, times have changes and some evil people walk the earth today.

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!