Friday, September 27, 2013

Touring South Carolina State Parks

We spent our final night workamping last Sunday the 22nd of September. The prior Wednesday I drove my loaner car (now returned to the owner) to the Charlotte, North Carolina airport to pick up my friend. We returned to Lake Hartwell, deciding the enjoy the lake a bit longer in view of the beautiful full moon and the perfect temperatures.

Like two old salts setting sail for parts unknown, we planned our trip fair weather style.

Monday we made 47 miles to camp at a lifelong friend's house in Mauldin, South Carolina. They live in a beautiful neighborhood that fortunately is not under the control of neighborhood associations that dictate your every move. So spending the night on their land never brings out any trouble. Matter of fact many folks in the neighborhood own campers which are parked on their lots. Contrary to the realtors and some neighborhood associations' belief that the neighborhood will go to ruin if a camper is anywhere near it, this seems not to be the case at all in my friend's neighborhood. The houses, yards, gardens and RV's are well kept without the need of a homeowners' association.

Sometimes I think this country has become way too complicated for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. If I were to get on my soapbox and preach, I would say for every law added to our books, 50 more should be eliminated (many are way outdated anyhow.)

The United States Declaration of Independence,was adopted by the Second Continental Congress on July 4, 1776. The text of the second section reads:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.


Travel Itinerary
Souls Aboard: Two sailors, one monkey dog
No reservations, just careening around in an easterly fashion

1994 Tioga Montara 28 foot Class C RV made by Fleetwood
Car: none but we travel with one bicycle (mostly for fun and exercise)

Monday
September 22, 2013
Workamping on Lake Hartwell in SC to Mauldin, South Carolina
47 miles
spent one night

Tuesday
September 23, 2013
Mauldin to
Chester State Park
759 State Park Rd
Chester, SC 29706
76 miles
spent one night on the lake front

Wednesday
September 24, 2013
Chester State Park to
Cheraw State Park
100 State Park Rd
Cheraw, SC 29520
96 miles
spent one night on the lake front (Lake Juniper)

Thursday
September 25, 2013
Chester State Park to
Little Pee Dee State Park
2400 Park Access Rd
Dillon, SC 29536
61 miles
spent two nights (so far) near the lake front (Norton Lake)

Before the trip, I mapped out the economical places to camp including places where one or both of us qualify for a discount. I was hoping for electric and water hookups, everything else being optional. South Carolina state parks are beautiful with reasonable rates that generally include water and electric. They tend to be on lakes, rivers or beaches, another plus since I enjoy beauty in nature along with natural water features.

As a former mermaid now on land, I am naturally attracted to water.

Some of our future camping may include sites without any utilities at all. I spent about a dozen years of my life "going green" by living without utility hookups while residing on a small sailboat at numerous anchorages in the Caribbean. I caught my rain water to store in tanks, and I had a tiny solar panel that powered my electrical wants, mostly boat stuff like the automatic bilge pump and the ship to shore radio which served to keep me employed before cell phones arrived on the horizon.

But for these days and times, I enjoy having electricity most of the time. 

1 comment:


Life is goof!