Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Qwack Qwack

Summer has abruptly ended it seems. Today it was 66F degrees at Hartwell Lake in Georgia.  I am not even in the mountains, just in the foothills. Amazing!  Harley was so c-c-cold, that I had to dig out a doggy sweater for him to wear. He was ecstatic when he saw his old blue sweater.  Immediately he sat down, then stuck his nose out for me to slide it over his head. Once I pulled his paws through the sleeves, he was smitten, dancing around excitedly with the new warmth. 


If it gets any colder, I may have to turn the mattress warmer on!  In September in the south!  Last fall I was in the northern states, so I used the mattress warmer often. 


I am recovering from the ghastly spider bite, but still not up to full speed. Storms swirled all around us yesterday, dumping copious amounts of rains.  The tornadoes dodged me, thank goodness but others nearby were not so lucky. 


After I dressed a very happy puppy in his sweater (he gets cold at 70F degrees)   my feet got so c-c-c-cold I had to rummage around to find my fleece lined men's slippers that I wear when the weather is cold but not cold enough for boots. Men's slippers are built much more sturdier than women's.  So last time I bought house shoes, I bought the men's because they were fleece lined, topped with faux suede leather plus thick rubber soles (handy for walking a puppy.)


I've had to keep up with the doggy walks, in spite of feeling so sickly, but I had to shorten them.  Every joint in my body aches.  I keep drinking green tea trying to flush the spider venom out. 


Recently a friend and his cat hopped aboard for a trip to Cherokee, North Carolina to the Indian Reservation. Below are some pictures I took. 
Geese were hanging out at the Happy Holiday RV Village in Cherokee.   I was enjoying the geese and the ducks. Then I saw the employees using their Golf Carts to chase the geese around.  They ran back to the lake. A seasonal camper who keeps her Fifth Wheel at the village year round as a 2nd home, said the management didn't like the geese  so they chased them with the Golf Carts. I guess Indians don't run the RV Village or they would let the wildlife live in peace. 
 My mind has gone blank, to tell you the name of this beautiful tree flanking the lake. 
Harley gives the camera the evil eye. No matter how pretty I groom him, he tosses his fur around until he has bangs in his face. I can't bring myself to allow his fur to be trimmed. His eyes are always clear without that runny stuff common in small dogs, maybe because his eyes have so much protection?  He's still my baby, but he is growing up quickly. 
This is a salad I made with Granny Smith apples, carrots, raisins and walnuts tossed in a vinaigrette made with Maple Syrup, Apple Cider Vinegar, Olive Oil and Spicy Mustard.  While the ingredients are a bit unconventional, the taste is heavenly, especially after it has marinated for a day. 
 Besides the geese, many ducks hang out at the lake too. Rivers bordered two sides of the RV village with a lake in the middle. 



Hurricanes and Hangovers and Other Tall Tales and Loose Lies from the Coconut Telegraph by Dear Miss Mermaid

4 comments:

  1. The seasons are definitely changing, here in Maine it is getting down into the 40's at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited the reservation back in 2000 and enjoyed it very much. Hope you feel better soon from that spider bite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! Nice pics!
    Take care of that spider bite, will you?

    ReplyDelete


Life is goof!